Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Snow Camp!

Tonight I am announcing the snow painting workshop. It will be here, at the Sunset Hill House near Franconia Notch in the White mountains of New Hampshire. The views are out of this world and the Inn is going to be a great place to do a workshop. Here is a picture of the Inn with the mountains behind it. Here is their web site.

We can walk out the backdoor of the inn and paint on their enormous grounds with views of the whites and we can run back inside by the fire and drink coffee if our feet get cold. If we want to leave the inn there are great locations all over the area. This is sacred ground for American landscape painting, Bierdstadt and McEntee and most of the Hudson river school once painted in this area. The workshop will begin on January 30 and end on the evening of February the 1st. That's three days. I am charging $300.00 per person and I intend to limit the class to ten this time.

I have been able to arrange with the inn for a discounted rate for the class, that is $278.00 for the Saturday and Sunday nights lodging. That will include breakfasts at the inn. So the whole show comes in at just under six hundred dollars for the weekends lodging and three days of instruction. This is a lovely, grand inn in the 19th century New England tradition. I think we should all be very snug and comfortable. Up there in the mountains I think we can count on plenty of snow.
If you want to attend the workshop click here and you will be able to make a a deposit of 150.00 to reserve your place in the class. E-mail me if you have any questions at stapletonkearns@gmail.com

I have been painting snow outside for more than thirty years and it is my favorite subject. I think snow is probably the thing I do best and I am looking forward to disclosing what I have discovered about painting it. Snow is of course not white. There are some logical step by step ways to approach the problems of painting snow.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

woo HOO! Road Trip!
Am saving my pennies.....hmmm... maybe I should switch that to Benjamins.....

What? snow isn't white? Why am I always the last to know.....


Hey... I used your trick of showing very bright sunlight today - using the local color as the shadow color and the lit areas pretty washed out. It works!

DennyHollandStudio said...

Stape~ that sounds like a terrific workshop with all the icing on the cake. Someday I'm going to fly across the country to attend one of your winter workshops. Looking forward to hearing how everyone enjoys this one!

JAMES A. COOK said...

YABA DABA DOOOOOO,
I have been waiting for a snow workshop for a long time. Painting snow it so much fun for me . It just always keeps me in augh. I just finished a wedding painting of a beautifull white wedding dress and I used no white paint at all . a lot of cool and some warm values , blues ,greens and warm pinks and it just came out great.To bad the sun has to set so early STAPE.This place looks so beautifull, one that has to be revisited often.

Roxanne Steed said...

I am determined to do this!! (are you setting up a paypal button for the deposit?)

Stapleton Kearns said...

Deb:
Hope to see you there. You will still need to bring the white..............
............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Denny:
You have the Sierras at your back door. I have painted those.
.........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

James;
I am excited too. I think it should be a lot of fun. Wait until you se the inn.
.......Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Roxanne:
Yes the paypal should be up and happening sometime tomorrow. I think this workshop is going to fill fast,but it is a wild card. I have never heard of anybody doing a winter workshop before. I of course think winter is the best time to paint out doors. Did you go to the inns web site and read that? I have actually stayed there.
...........Stape

Roxanne Steed said...

Stape - the place looks amazing! We're heading down to VA tomorrow (from CT), but I'll bring my laptop w/ me & plug in & pay. This is one former Floridian who is used to painting in summery, swampy, skeeter-infested marshes....not so much winter. I am so DETERMINED to 'get-over-my-wimpy-self' and expand my painting season now that we've settled up here! (gotta order those boots from Cabella's).

mariandioguardi.com said...

Argh!...Got to sell a painting or two before I can take this on. I know I will kick myself if I miss it.
Wish me luck!
Sounds like a winter wonderland; Master painter, enthusiastic collegial artists, beautiful new England Inn, White mountains in winter and painting winter light on snow.Can't get much better than that.

Unknown said...

I'd be there if I could...It would be great to take a workshop from you!

Happy Thanksgiving

f

ps. Tim Solliday and I both got " Trilby" and finished it. Not quite what I thought but a worthwhile read. The ending dialogue by Trilby still has me scratching my head.

billspaintingmn said...

Stape, not sure I can make it, but
my heart & sole can.
Very good to put together such a
workshop, I'm sure all will benifit!

billspaintingmn said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Roxanne:
the paypal button is up and should be working. If you click on the link in the post it should take you there.There are now nine spots left.
.....Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Marian:
Sell that painting! it would be a lot of fun to have you. I hope you come.
.......Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Frank:
Thanks, that would be so cool.Maybe someday. I want to come paint in the Sierras. I have before but the gallery in Tahoe that I used to be in closed.
.....Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Bill:
I am teaching a workshop in Minnesota too, it is actually more of an artist in residence gig, at Shattuck School, a private boarding school in Faribault in April. It is not open to the public though.
..............Stape

Unknown said...

You gotta place to stay if you should ever decide to come!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Frank:
Thanks. You know I have a daughter in school in California, perhaps someday soon I will visit you.
.......Stape

Unknown said...

2 of my friends have daughters at your daughters college. Ask her if she knows a Graves or a Weeks....they are in the dorms....

billspaintingmn said...

Fairbault in april!? Thanks for the heads up- I will make that happen!! I have ways, trust me. Looking forward too...I'll shake your hand when I meet you!
Thanks Stape!