Tuesday, December 8, 2015

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DUMB DESIGN IDEAS Potato edition

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DUMB DESIGN IDEAS
POTATOES

Another find from the Nevelson master this painting is a fine example of a design flaw. Painted on the lid of a White Owl box, ( the artists white is suspected to be the ground up plastic mouthpieces from those same smokes ) this small painting contains a design problem called potation. What is that, you might well ask?

POTATION, THE REPETITION OF THE SAME SHAPE AND DIMENSION INSTEAD OF VARIED AND INTERESTING SHAPES, GIVES AN AMATEURISH AND ANNOYING ARTIFICIALITY.

If you again look at the painting above, or in your pamphlets, you will notice that the trees and the clouds are all of the same potato shape. Everyone who begins to paint makes this mistake. The ability to make interesting and varied shapes is developed and not instinctive. Like everything else in painting it must be learned, no one gets much for free.

When you see granny's paintings sold by her disgusted heirs at a yard sale, this is one of the most common faults. E-bay is full of modestly priced paintings by retired executives that are full of potato shapes. Someone once remarked that all amateur painting looks the same, and much of it does, because they all contain the same things unlearned.

So don't POTATE! as you paint, and when you study your work, police your shapes. Look for repletion of the same elements and intervals between them. The more different your shapes are from one another the longer you will hold the viewer.

Scholars researching the Nevelson master may have discovered his identity, one Dirk Van Assaerts from East Delft. Letters and civil records have come to light showing that he was a successful teacher and arts administrator too, winning numerous grants and subsidies. Van Assaerts left volumes of correspondence, opening to scholars a unique view into the life of a 17th century tyro. In coming posts I will reveal what contemporary scholarship has to say about this remarkable man.

5 comments:

Arty Quin said...

Thanks for this excellent reminder on why we shouldn't potate! I especially enjoy the illustrations. You are both amusing and informative. Hope to take a workshop soon.

Unknown said...

So happy to see a posting to your blog, which I have enjoyed and learned a good deal from.

stapeliad said...

POTATION: BANNED

I used to potate my foliage but now I don't.

Mashed potations are much better.

Gina said...

Thanks for this super site. I was looking for suggested substitutions for Cad. Yellow... learned a lot about Cadmiums. Thanks for the caution on usage. Continued reading blogs and came across the potation ... one of my own failings. I went to Ontario College of Art in the '80's (Toronto, On.) and one of my profs used to tease me about my Lollipop trees. I live about 2 - 4 hours away from a major city so painting is a solitary occupation (and often mistakes go unnoticed). Discovering your site is a terrific learning tool. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Stapleton, I love your articles and stories. For me, I have yet to connect with any artists around here (Noth Central Kentucky ... my wife is from the Berkshires), so your writing makes me feel like you're talking directly to me. It gives me hope. I, too, am guilty of potation in my paintings, and I think it's one of the things that bugs me when others say "your painting looks GREAT!" and I know that something isn't quite right about it.